4 Easy Tips For Homeschooling & A Teacher's Handbook



Good morning and welcome to Biscotti & Bracelets.


4 Easy Tips For Homeschooling and a Handbook


Over the years I have learned some tips to make homeschooling easier on the entire family. Today, I will be sharing some of those tips with you along with a glimpse into our homeschooling journey.

I am currently planning out the new homeschool year here on the home front. There are so many things to do to get ready. I have spent the last couple of months buying school books and making lesson plans for a 3rd grader and a 5th grader.
 We homeschooled our daughter Tegan through her entire school life. Tegan graduated last year and I thought I was retiring from the homeschool life.
A photo posted by jennifer hall (@jennhall35) on
 

 Just as Tegan was graduating my brother decided he wanted his kids to be homeschooled. He was fed up with the public school system and wanted a better education for his kids. This was easier in theory than it was in reality. My brother is a single dad. He was taking his kids to work with him everyday and trying to teach two kids while driving and working. He called me a few months after he started homeschooling and asked if I could help. Here, I am teaching and tutoring three days a week so my brother can work and he teaches the rest of the week. This system has worked out great. I get to see my niece and nephew more often and my brother is less stressed.


The key to a successful homeschool in my opinion is scheduling. Of course, I schedule everything. My husband tells me all the time it would take me a month to plan a spontaneous vacation. He is probably right. Planning is critically important when you are homeschooling especially if you are teaching more than one child and different grade levels.


There is a great book out there for helping teachers ( aka Homeschoolers) 






It is called the Growth Mindset Coach. Most kids, my niece and nephew included always talk about how good they are in one subject and how bad they are in another subject. 
The key is to get them to understand they are not bad at any subjects. Just because one subject is harder than another subject does not mean they are bad at that subject. In my opinion is very important to build a child's confidence in every way possible. That is where this incredible book comes in. 

A Teacher's month by Month Handbook for Empowering Students to Achieve
 by Annie Brock and Heather Hundley
This handbook is a complete and easy to follow guide for inspiring every child in your life. 
The handbook includes very detailed lesson plans, hands on activities, discussion points and more
Available at:



Tip #1

The first lesson I learned when I started homeschooling my daughter was to take breaks. When you are dealing with young children you can not expect them to sit still for a long period of time. A good rule of thumb is to work 15-20 minutes and then let them get up and move around for 5 minutes ( run, play, etc). Trust when I say this helps.

Tip #2 -Patience

The second thing I learned is patience. There will be days when your child will out and out refuse to do anything. Stay calm, quickly edit the schedule for that day. Curl up on the couch and watch educational shows on tv, netflix or even youtube. You can also put your child on the computer PBS Kids has a wide variety of educational games for kids.

Tip #3 Take A Day Off

Third lesson I learned is that there will be days that you are so overwhelmed that you just don't have the energy to deal with homeschooling that day. Take a day off. This will give you and your kid(s) time together to just relax and have fun. Being a homeschool parent is not easy but it is worth it. Keeping up with the kids, school, cleaning, laundry, cooking, errands and running the kids to practice, play dates and doctors appointments it can get overwhelming quickly. 

Tip #4 Take Time for Yourself


4th Lesson learned, Just breathe, and be sure to take time for yourself each day. I always get up at least two hours before everyone else. I take one hour to drink my coffee and work on my blog or read and relax. This one hour of relaxation everyday helps me focus and gives me the strength to get through the day. I also take another hour to myself at the end of the day to recharge. 

Popular Posts